First and Last Annual Punk Magazine Awards 1978
It was 1978. Punk had broke the year before. The Sex Pistols were broken up. Nancy Spungen was dead. All the bands that later gained great fame and influenced the world were still comparably unknown.
John Hallstrom and his Punk Magazine pals decided that the bands they loved were not likely to ever win a Grammy, so they might as well have an awards ceremony of their own.
The event was unlike the Grammys in many ways. The crowd was more erratic. Not only was there heckling throughout the show (Joey Ramone was a bit of an asshole that night). Bottles were thrown and chairs were ripped up from the floor.
This YouTube playlist remembers 20 of those bands that were honored that night.
Unique And Extraordinary: The First and Last Annual Punk Magazine Awards 1978
- Plastic Bertrand: Ca Plane Pour Moi
- Elvis Costello and The Attractions: You Belong To Me
- Shrapnel: Combat Love
- Generation X: Day By Day
- The Jesters: Don’t Crawl Back
- Talking Heads: With All Our Love
- Richard Hell and The Voidoids: Blank Generation
- Patti Smith: Gloria
- The Dictators: Stay With Me
- Iggy Pop: The Passenger
- Mumps: Scream and Scream Again
- Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers: Chinese Rocks
- Suicide: Dream Baby Dream
- Television: Venus
- Blondie: Call Me
- The Ramones: The KKK Took My Baby Away
- Peter and The Test Tube Babies: Banned From The Pubs
- The Clash: Rock The Casbah
- Sex Pistols: No Feelings
- Birdland: Kill Him Again